Cats and Kids


When I was pregnant, I was so worried about our cat, Tigger, and our son.  Tigger is an old man cat, very chill, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't have a reaction to a child.  The cat was the first one to leave a scar on our child... when the cat jumped into the baby's stroller; he accidentally scratched Gregory's nose. My husband saved the cat's life, that's all I'm going to say about that.

But as Gregory has grown, their bond has strengthened.  Tigger loves the attention from Gregory.  The cat will swish his tail for Gregory to catch.  When Gregory was learning how to walk slowly, Tigger would walk a step and wait, walk a step and wait, so that Gregory could reach him.

When we bathe Gregory, Tigger is there, meowing away, as if to say, "It's water!  Get the baby out of the water!"  And when Gregory cries.... the cat is RIGHT THERE!  Tigger wants to make sure our son is ok.

The other day, Tigger walked, Gregory followed him quickly.  Then Gregory grabbed Tigger's tail and Tigger kept walking while Gregory was still holding his tail... I swear... the cat was walking our son, as if the cat's tail was a leash!  

I often hear about dogs and kids being friends, but now I know... don't knock the cat's relationship either.  It's very sweet and tender.









Comments